Welcome back my wonderful readers! It's been 2 months since I've blogged so there's a lot of catching up to do. Of course if you've already found me on Instagram (@drtea_podiatry), you'd see some updates about my personal and professional life and why I've been MIA. I have a growth in my uterus...
But onwards to an optimistic new year and I bet a new you perhaps? Which means a lot of people are looking to rev up their physical activity and get fit! Much kudos to you but of course you want to do it safely so that you can continue on with a healthy lifestyle. Too much too soon can de-motivate your efforts so here are some pointers to get you started on the right foot.
Things to keep in mind when starting to work out:
1. Looking at new shoes? Choose the appropriate footwear
- You want a sturdy shoe that does not fold in half, particularly if you choose running as your activity.
- Break into them before going full speed. That means go for a test run (short distance) before using them for a race or long distances.
2. Start slow
- Start at a level that is comfortable and gradually increase to a level that challenges but does not hurt you. A gym coach would be a safe start.
3. Keep going!
- Establish a routine and schedule it like an important appointment. A scheduled "me time" will leave you feeling amazing and acomplished. Motivation will wane with time, but a habit will stick.
4. No pain, no gain?
- Pain is essential to living and it is protective so know when to stop. If you push through the pain, injuries can happen that will put you out of commission longer than you desire. Small periods of rest and recovery is essential in optimizing your workout and your overall well being.
Wishing you a happy healthy new year!